On the first Sunday of every May, runners line up to race down Broad Street. From North Philadelphia to the Navy Yard, runners go through the heart of Philadelphia passing diverse communities and neighborhoods while excited fans and volunteers cheer them on. If you're thinking of running the Broad Street Run this year, here are 10 things you should know about Philadelphia's favorite 10 mile race:
1. Save the date! The 40th annual race is on Sunday, May 5th at 8AM.
2. The 2019 Broad Street Run lottery officially opens Friday, February 1st and goes through Friday, February 15th. Lottery results will be announced by Tuesday, February 19th.
3. Where to enter: Add your name to the registration lottery HERE.
4. Equal Rights: Everyone has an equal chance of getting into the race whether you register on day 1 or day 10. There are a few exceptions to this rule, keep reading to see how you can skip the lottery and still race.
5. Pay to Play: Have your credit card information ready when you're entering the lottery. Registration is $55 per person.
6. Exceptions! There are a few groups who qualify for guaranteed entry to the 2019 BSR:
Runners who deferred their 2018 entry to 2019
Runners who were rejected in the 2017 and 2018 lotteries
Runners who have run BSR 10 times or more, either consecutively or non-consecutively
IMPORTANT NOTE: tenured runners must still enter the lottery! If you are not selected in the lottery, email email@example.com to secure a bib
Runners who registered for the Philadelphia Challenge after the 2018 Philadelphia Marathon
7. Team Registration: Teams are limited to 3 to 5 runners and receive guaranteed entry into the race but space is limited. Team registration opens at the same time as the general lottery and spots are available on a first come, first served basis. To register a team, head to the Broad Street Run website:
Choose someone to register your team in the lottery. Select Team Creation and then Club or Corporate.
Choose a unique name and password and share this information with your team members.
Pay the team entry fee (includes individual entry fee): Club Fee: $300 Corporate Fee: $350.
Each team member, including the person who registered the team, must register in the lottery individually and sign a waiver electronically. To register, each individual must use the unique name and password used to register the team. Then, they choose your team name from the drop-down menu. Please note that your team must be set up and paid for before your team members can register.
8. Skip the lottery! Secure your spot on Broad Street by fundraising for one of the races's official charity partners: American Cancer Society, American Association for Cancer Research, Back on My Feet, Fairmount Park Conservancy, Students Run Philly Style, and Team in Training Eastern PA
9. Fun for the whole family! Your kids can run on race day too. (More finish line fun information here)
The 20th annual Dunkin’ Munchkin run is for kids 6 to 12 years old and starts at 7:45 a.m.
The Dunkin’ Munchkin Diaper Derby is for ages 2 and under and starts 9:30 a.m. Participants will be grouped by age.
The Kids Dashes are for kids ages 3 to 12 years old. Races include:
30-yard Dash: Ages 3 to 5
40-yard Dash: Ages 6 to 8
50-yard Dash: Ages 9 to 12
10. Time to Train! Team Philly Race Training is the official race training program for the Broad Street Run. Whether you are racing for the first time or looking to set a new PR, Team Philly has the plan for you. Kick off training on Saturday, February 23rd at 8AM in our University City shop, more info here.