November is National Running Safety month! Runner safety is always a priority to us but this is a great time to remind runners that there are easy ways to run safe and smart throughout the year. We put together a few tips to help you stay safe out there:
1. Be Seen! Wear high visibility, reflective clothing and accessories. Use headlamps, carry handheld lights or wear lights that attach to you.
2. Be Aware! Pay attention to your surroundings - in front, behind and all around. If you love to listen to music while you run, try Aftershokz Trekz headphones which allow you to enjoy your playlist and still be able to hear what is going on around you, especially when it is dark and you can’t see your surroundings as well.
3. Stay connected! Let someone know where you are going, carry ID, and bring a phone in case of emergency. Increase your safety with Wearsafe, a wearable personal safety device that uses the power your smartphone to instantly alert friends and family to coordinate help.
4. Run with friends! There is something to be said for the power in numbers. Running with friends is fun and can be motivating, especially during the early or late hours. We have group runs at each of our stores, check out our events calendar and join us!
5. Follow the rules of the road! Run against traffic and obey all traffic laws. Try to stay in areas that are well lit so that it is easier for drivers to see you.