5 Places To Cross-Train In Philly
As the weather breaks, we want to make sure you have the right gear for your cross-training and running needs.
If you’re training for the Broad Street Run, you’re probably a few weeks into training and slowly beginning to increase your mileage. Yay! Nothing says I’m training for a road race like a good long run.
In order to keep your body in good shape, it’s important to supplement your running with a few cross-training workouts to
- Use different muscles to help prevent overuse injuries AND
- Strengthen your core and become a stronger runner.
As much as you’d like to skip those cross-training/strength training days on your weekly schedule, try one of these gyms or fitness studios:
- Unite Fitness (Center City & Mt. Laurel, NJ): Unite Fitness’ method focuses on multi-sport cardio intervals, functional strength training, and a yoga stretch in every workout. The (usually) 75 minute workout will definitely get your heart-rate going with a bike, treadmill or rowing session but allows you to strengthen your core running muscles with a 30-minute conditioning component to help make you a better athlete.
- Body Cycle Studio (Center City): If you’re looking for a spin class, check out Body Cycle Studio. Body Cycle’s classes generally last for 45 minutes and are led by rockstar instructors to great music. The instructors make you feel like every workout is about YOU and doesn’t focus on competing with other riders.
- Goals Fit (Manayunk): Goals Fit bootcamp classes are designed to burn calories, increase strength and build endurance. You can catch a Goals Fit bootcamp in five different locations (including Conshocken if you’re in the burbs!)
- Joltin Jabs (Manayunk & Center City): If bootcamp is not your thing, consider boxing fitness instead! Joltin Jabs is led by Manayunk native, Joey DeMalavez. The sessions are a great way to strengthen your running body, increase stamina, and build confidence.
- CrossFit Center City: Up for a challenge? CrossFit may be the workout for you. CrossFit Center City offers an Endurance Training program that not only helps you gain strength, but also focuses on building speed.
Don’t see your favorite gym or studio listed? Tell us where we should cross-train in the comments section below!